Recently I helped a client prepare her home for sale. She was downsizing from a three-bedroom rancher with a full basement to a two bedroom condo. I not only helped her de-clutter, I helped organize, downsize and stage her home in preparation for putting it on the market.
This prompted me to think about some low cost ways you can spruce up your home to make it more attractive to potential buyers (or even for you to continue to live in):
1. Landscape - Your home's curb appeal is the first thing that people notice when they drive up to your home. Keep your lawn mowed and weed-free. Trim the shrubs low enough to be able to see the front windows. Put out some colorful hanging baskets of flowers near the front door to create an inviting entrance.
2. Paint the interior - A fresh coat of paint or a new color on the walls can change the look of a room very quickly. If you are painting in order to sell your home, avoid dramatic colors and stick with neutrals. Save the color for accent pillows, area rugs or other items that are mobile and easily changed out.
3. Give the kitchen cabinets and drawers a makeover. You can refinish the cabinets and drawers with a coat of paint or stain to give them a fresh look. Updating the hardware on will provide a whole new look.
4. Update light fixtures. If you are currently dining under a chandelier or light fixture that is 20 years old or if you are getting ready each morning under drab lighting in your bathroom, it's time to add some new lighting. Select tasteful yet simple fixtures and add a dimmer in the dining room for extra appeal. Use bright, natural lighting in the bathroom. By cleaning your fixtures, you will be able to provide additional brightness to a room very quickly.
5. Maximize storage. As a professional organizer, I believe that this is very important. Cramped closets are unattractive to buyers and frustrating to your family members. Clear out everything from the closet and only put back what you currently need to keep. Use a closet system that provides plenty of shelving and rods for efficient organization.
Whether you are putting your house on the market or want to simply spruce up your home for you and your family, utilizing these tips will start you on your way.
After helping my client to stage her home, she was able put it on the market and received an offer within six days. She is making settlement at the end of the month.
If you need assistance with preparing your home for sale, contact me. I can help.
In the meantime, have a great week!