Everyone at times feels overwhelmed. Whether it's keeping up with the housework, running the kids to various activities, dealing with a sick family member, or getting organized, we all need some help. All you have to do is ask.
My first wake up call was when my first husband was diagnosed with cancer and was terminally ill. I did my best to do it all myself, but quickly found it was impossible. Reluctantly, I reached out to friends and family to ask for help with caring for my 6 year old son and helping me to care for my husband. I quickly realized those that cared about me were more than willing to lend a hand during this most difficult time in my life.
It's not a bad thing to reach out to others when it's all too much to deal with. We can find lots of excuses not to but don't let these excuses stop you from getting the help that you need:
- What if they say "No"? - Don't take it personally. Give the person credit for being honest with you. They might be feeling overwhelmed in their life too. Just find someone else. Don't let that stop you from asking; it's worth the risk to save your sanity.
- I don't want to owe anyone. - Believe it or not, most people do not expect, or even want, a favor in return when they offer their support. They just want to be able to help out, trusting that when they are in need, the favor would be returned. A simple "Thank You" will do.
- It's faster to do it myself. - You may think this is true, but most times, it's not. If you add up all the little tasks, you will discover that it could take a long list of never-ending to-do's. You could be spending that time doing something that you are more efficient at and, therefore, be more productive.
- I don't want to be a burden. - People generally want to help out. It's a chance for them to show you that they care about you. They will not look at it as you being a burden unless you over do it. If you are reasonable in your requests for help, you will get what you need.
- I can handle it on my own. - Don't be a martyr. No one can do it all. Don't let false pride rob you of the chance to enjoy life. Learning to delegate to others will free up more of your time and let others show off their talents too. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Together we can conquer whatever comes our way!
If you are feeling overwhelmed, reach out for help. It's there for the taking. And when the time is right, you can always return the favor.
If you are feeling overwhelmed with your clutter, reach out to me for help. Simply contact me at A BETTER SPACE. I will be more than happy to help. Just ask.
Wishing you an organized week!